Thursday, December 30, 2004

Wot I Did This Year

A ridiculously conceited concept, I realize, but then isn't that the premise of everything here?

1: Travelled to England to see the Mekons' gig at Manchester's Band on the Wall, ably supported by, among others, the fantabulous John Hyatt. By a huge margin the highlight of the year, even if I couldn't get Sally Timms to take her top off.

2: Entered the parallel universe known as the blogosphere for the first time. Now I can't seem to get out, despite the suggestions of several well-wishers.

3: Visited Cuba for the second time (shan't be returning).

4: Visited Cephalonia for the second time (ditto).

5: Discovered that I bore easily (see 3 and 4).

6: Wrote my third novel, Ivy Feckett Is Looking for Love: A Birmingham Romance.

7: Started my fourth novel, Fun Among the Screelpokes.

8: Won Laytown/Bettystown Men's Over-40s doubles. Outdoor. On Thursdays.

9: Took massive doses of intravenous drugs for the first time. Alright, 8 days of antibiotics, but coming off them cold turkey was a nightmare!

10: Burst my appendix for the first time.

11: Received my first surgical scar, a sure sign of middle age. I've been scared of knives ever since I was chased out of Jacey Park woods at the age of 8 by a teddy boy with a penknife, so before the operation, I asked if I could be anaesthetized while the surgeon did his stuff. Transpires that this is the usual procedure anyway, so I didn't have to see my previously immaculate skin pierced by unforgiving metal. Great relief all round.

Also, I got married and had a baby boy.

Big hopes for 2005!

No comments: