Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Righteous Scribes

(so as to avoid calling them Babes; Ani DiFranco can get away with it, I can't.)

Clare Sudbery writes at the very funny and moving Boob Pencil, "random warblings from a textually loquacious word freak." Manchester-based, she works in Alty and is the author of The Dying of Delight, in which "two shady women run headlong towards, and away from, the solar eclipse of 1999 - a momentous collision of Levenshulme, lesbians and LSD." I could spend hours over at Boob Pencil, but then C&S would never get done.

Julia Darling, who blogs at her eponymous site here, is the winner of the 2003 Northern Rock Foundation Writer's Award and a Fellow of Literature and Health at The University of Newcastle upon Tyne. Her Manifesto for a New City, a show based on a manifesto for the re-shaping of Newcastle that she wrote after visiting Barcelona, tours between 31st March and 28th April, visiting Hexham, Newbury, Glasgow, Alnwick, South Shields and Stockton-on-Tees. A woman of wonderful taste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm flattered. Thank you.

I've just been looking at your blogger profile. Shaun of the Dead, huh? You're gonna like my next novel, I reckon.

Sartre - did you notice I'm currently reading Nausea? And liking it.

JG Ballard - short stories - on my bedside table.

Chumbawumba. Nice. Our mate used to share a house with Alice Nutter.

P.S. Altrincham FC, LOL - I didn't even know there was such a thing.

John said...

Clare, you're welcome.

just watched Shaun again over the weekend. Turning into a zombie in front of the telly.

Haven't read Nausea for yonks. Sort of developed a greater sympathy for Camus in recent years.

Recent Ballard has passed me by, I must confess. His short stories are v.g. though.

Was that the house the Chumbas lived in with Jon Langford as their landlord? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

How can you NOT have heard of the Alty? They're world famous in Timperley.