Friday, May 13, 2005

Compost Corner!

After the gravitas of Jacques Barzun, I allowed myself a touch of levity in the form of Tony Allen's book A Summer in the Park: A Journal of Speakers' Corner. I remember Tony from the early 1980s when he did a benefit gig for the Autonomy Club, the old anarchist centre in Wapping that I used to frequent of a Friday afternoon (me and Vince, that was it). Tony was never a particularly brilliant comic, but I doubt very much that the possibility of selling out would have ever occurred to him, and at least he doesn't have Mark Steel's smugness and punchable face.

In a slight book lacking in profundities but abundant with acuities, he presents a diary of 5 months spent giving speeches at Speakers' Corner, as well as descriptions of other speakers and the "professional" hecklers who seem to see it as their duty to deflate any pomposity they encounter but who, by the sounds of things, are really just annoying feckless wankers who enjoy interrupting for the sake of it.

The characters Tony describes are mostly rather sad and almost all male, which says a lot about both the practice of public speaking and the male propensity for self-delusion, but he gets on rather well with the SPGBers, who are also regulars there, and he even manages to convert a couple of their more perceptive members to anarchism during the period covered.

I would have liked to have read more of Tony's material and the actual texts of his speeches; as an advocate of anarchism I find him persuasive and amusing. There's plenty of material at Speakers' Corner Net to check out, however, if the book whets your appetite sufficiently.

7 comments:

John said...

Hi Stuart--

Is he working his way through the alphabet?

Next stop Bolshevism.

John said...

Now I think of it, UB40 also did a benefit gig for the Autonomy Club, at Woolwich Odeon in 1980. Enough to restore their reputation in anyone's eyes, I'd have thought.

John said...

Seems it was 81. There's a review here by Andy Gill from the NME, but I'm not paying 6 bucks to read it.

http://www.rocksbackpages.com/artist.html?ArtistID=UB40

Imposs1904 said...

Sorry John,

though I loved Tony Allen's book - or rather the online version I read on the net a few years back - and which was pulled from the net in time for publication of the book (selling out, anyone?) I can't agree with your comments about Mark Steel. I love Mark Steel's writings, hate his politics, and when push comes to shove Tony Allen has the much more punchable face and punchable personality, but as he's a big bastard I leave that wee fantasy to one side, as I would hate to bleed all over him. ;-)

John said...

Hi Darren, no need to apologize. I think Steel can be funny on occasion, and I never found Tony Allen all that good, as I said. But on the punchability stakes I'd still have Steel edging it.

Maybe we can combine this with an outing when we go after Martin Amis.

Reidski said...

Have to agree with John, here - although I don't think it's a close vote. Shite comic, shite politics - Steel should be punched at any and every opportunity!

John said...

Cheers for that reidski. And I don't think having your book published by Freedom Press counts as selling out, Darren. It's more like vanity publishing.

Do you think the readership for his book will be any more than his average audience? ;0)