Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Not just independent, totally detached from reality

I love k-punk's report here on the launch of DIY: The Rise of Lo-Fi Culture, by Amy Spencer. The barely concealed contempt for Indie Solipsism is a joy to read. I like the odd bit of indie now and then, don't get me wrong, but it always contained that potential for shoe-gazing didn't it?

Smart contrast, too, between blogs and livejournals. I always thought a blog would be like a diary, but it's a much more interactive process. Much more fun, too.

2 comments:

Reidski said...

What's wrong with shoe-gazing? I've been doing it for around 20 years and came to no harm. Oh, wait, it's also meant that I've found it difficult building relationship and friendships, thus bringing on feelings of social alienation and despair, thus resulting in me writing poetry which gets put into songs by guitarists who don't understand my genius and listened to like-minded youth who find it difficult building relationships and friendship, thus bringing on...etc, etc, etc.
No, really really seriously, I HAVE been gazing at my shoes a lot in the last two weeks cos I have holes in them and, particularly in the past couple of days, it's been pissing it down and my feet have been getting wet.

John said...

Ah yes, reidski, but you also blog - occasionally - which we all recognize as a cry for help.

We're here for you.