Friday, December 02, 2005

If you get the chance..

go see Gogol Bordello. The best New York gypsy-punk band I've seen all week. Their tunes aren't so hot but the live show is so much fun I moshed for the first time since Mano Negra.

Even better , to my mind , were the support act The Scotch Greens. A cross between a beefed up The Men They Could't Hang and a banjoised Clash. Their version of Janie Jones was worth paying 3 quid a beer for alone.

The other support , on a night of US roots punk , was Throw Rag. Not dissimilar to Th' Legendary Shack Shakers in a skinny punkabilly kind of way but a little less confrontational.

While I'm about it, tips for next year are Hot Puppies and The Cyclones (and The Scotch Greens obviously).

2 comments:

John said...

Hot puppies. Is that one of my surprise Christmas presents?


And 3 quid a pint! Is that the real reason why you were dancing?

John said...

the ScotchGreens site has some downloads that are excellent. I like "Rumspringa," a word I thought only I knew this side of Pennsylvania.