Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A Working-Class Hero is Something to Be

The mighty Niall Quinn attempts to combine both the promotion and class struggles up at Sunderland.

Sunderland's last two glass-blowing firms are to close with 790 jobs going, Fujitsu shed 600, Groves Cranes 670, Vaux Breweries 600. One could go on. Quinn did.

"At this club, in this region, there is a moral responsibility. The club is the biggest symbol of identity for Sunderland people. What I have to make sure is we strike a balance between being affordable and making sure we can compete. But I'm aware of the whole picture, especially on days like today when you hear what's happened a mile away from the stadium
. . .

"If I was offered Chelsea for one pound I wouldn't take it because I can bring nothing to it. But I think I can bring something here because I relate to these people. I hung around with ex-miners when I came here and I still do - they've come over to see me in Ireland. When I first came to England [in 1983] I saw these miners getting the shit kicked out of them by all these cops. It struck a chord with me and, when I came up here, I began to find out more. There was a bitter aftertaste and it helped me find out the real spirit of the region, the real problems, the real pleasures."

2 comments:

Imposs1904 said...

Brilliant quote from Quinny.

Believe or not, I was actually going to blog the quote myself when I read the original piece a few days back but when you're in non-blogging mode, you miss these opportunities . . .

Martin said...

He can expect a few random breathalyser tests after that.I just hope the local plod are as careless with their paperwork as the Gardai.