Thursday, August 30, 2007

Let's Not Go There

The July issue of the "high-society" magazine Vanity Fair was entirely devoted to the subject of Africa. As you can imagine, the letters page of the most recent issue is something to behold. A sample:


Thank you for the brilliant Africa issue [July]. As a recent college graduate, I can honestly tell you that I have learned more about Africa and global awareness from this one magazine edition than in my entire education. As a humanitarianism junkie I am constantly looking for ways to engage my knowledge and become involved in positive change. I applaud Vanity Fair for helping to raise awareness, for jumpstarting a worldwide campaign for Africa, and for promoting peace and prosperity in our world. VF is now ahead of the game and leading the way for what seems to be a new revolution; thank you for this leadership.
KATIE NEUMAN
Tempe, Arizona

YOUR ISSUE on Africa was quite impressive and comprehensive, but it still presents Africa as a poverty-stricken continent. Nothing could be further from the truth. Africa is the storehouse of the world's strategic minerals, oil, gold, diamonds, and bauxite. In that regard, no African country is poor. The root of the problems is bad governance, which translates into unequal distribution of wealth, corruption, wars, lack of resources to feed hunger, an uneducated populace, and the degradation of our environment. Africa is orphaned by lack of leadership. Is it any wonder the likes of Bono and Madonna are playing the roles African leaders should be assuming? Africa's salvation must ultimately come from within. Oh, Congo is the home of African music, not Mali, as Tom Freston depicts in "Showtime in the Sahara." Congolese music is universal. Mali, like the rest of West Africa, is the home of fabrics, high fashion, and music, in that order.
EMEKA IGWEBE
Imo State, Nigeria

I'VE BEEN a subscriber to Vanity Fair for nearly 20 years, and it used to be that I couldn't wait for each issue to arrive, I read it cover to cover. Over the last year I have been very disappointed with the content. From the Green Issue to the current Africa issue, the magazine seems to have become a platform for self-serving celebrities to tout their greatness. I miss the in-depth articles you used to publish on a variety of topics, including society and true crime. It's what sets your magazine apart from all of the others. For the first time ever I don't think I'll be renewing my subscription.
DIANE EAKES
San Diego, California

I AM TOTALLY DISGUSTED with the July issue. We are citizens of the United States of America, and the vast majority of Americans couldn't care less about Africa. The U.S. has an abundance of poor, needy children and adults. And what do VF and the American government concern themselves with? Africa. Get real. The continent will never improve, and VF's issue just adds fuel to the fire. I am not an extremist; I am an American, and I, along with a whole host of other Americans, am tired of hearing about Africa! I will not be renewing my subscription.
JAMES DIXON
Montgomery, Texas

THE CRISES in Africa rightfully deserve the full attention of an entire issue of Vanity Fair: However, the continent of Africa does not stand alone in its suffering. It seems that when references to human crises are made today everyone thinks of Africa, especially with the number of celebrities pushing for change there. Meanwhile, Asia is like a forgotten continent, and Southeast Asia in particular. There you will find the Hmong people of Laos living on tree sap and rainwater; the refugees from Burma, who have no place to turn and who are probably the only group of people right now in the world who would welcome a U.S. intervention; and the child-prostitution industry thriving in Cambodia. It would be nice - in the spirit of increasing awareness of global crises - to also include the world's largest continent.
JAGDISH GILL
Waltham, Massachusetts

THANK YOU FOR INCLUDING the leader of the Free World in your series of covers for your Africa issue. Like President Bush or not, he has made a large contribution of aid to Africa. Involving him shows that your magazine is fair and unbiased, something that is very refreshing to see in the media today.
NANCY HADLEY
Madison, Wisconsin

WITHOUT EXTREME population control measures, Africa is doomed. You can throw all the money you wish at the continent, but a lot of it goes no further than the corrupt governments. Conquering disease and poverty will only mean future hardship for those who have been saved, as populations explode and suffering becomes more extreme. Leave Africa alone and put the time, effort, and money into making our own population healthier. I hate to say this, but Africa will be saved only when its leaders decide to act from their hearts and not from their bank accounts.
WILLIAM TAYLOR
Gloucester, Massachusetts

I'M NOT a trendsetter, not really into high fashion or up on the latest celebrity gossip. Therefore, I have never really felt a need to read your magazine. (I like NPR, basic black apparel, Dansko clogs, and folk music.) I am not trying to sound snotty, I just didn't feel I fit your demographic. But after seeing the topic of your July issue, I realized we had a lot more in common than I thought: Africa. Screw buying just this one issue. If a magazine is going to take a risk like this and devote an entire issue to topics that need to be on our minds, add me to your subscriber list. I can't wait to see what the other issues bring.
WENDY CHAMBERLIN
Seattle, Washington




Good luck, Wendy.

6 comments:

David Todd said...

Shucks I've never read that mag, they don't have any in my dentists/doctors waiting room.I might check the travel agents for it though.

Lorcy said...

"As a recent college graduate, I can honestly tell you that I have learned more about Africa and global awareness from this one magazine edition than in my entire education"

christ! Katie's lecturers must be pleased...what was doing "Africa Doesn't Exist Studies" or something?

and what is the cure for being a "As a humanitarianism junkie" ??

"We are citizens of the United States of America, and the vast majority of Americans couldn't care less about Africa." nice James, where are you from again...oh yeah...Texas


ahh fond memories of Vanity Fair, especially the 'hot ladies of hollywood' cover spread and the in depth articles of crimes yer man Diamond happened to have some connection with, like Angela Lansbury in 'Murder...She Caused'

John said...

Hi Cybez--

You don't know what you're missing.

Lorcy--

We can send you on some pdfs if you're suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Yer man Diamond was yer man Dunne, yes? Yr man Diamond was the wee scottish div who did Gamesmaster.

Anyway, they're both dead now.

Lorcy said...

ah that's right Dominic Dunne not Dominic Diamond 'the (very) poor man's john leslie'

to add to the confusion I recall Dominic Dunne looks a bit like John Starkey?...

John said...

Yes, that's right. A slightly older, more decrepit, sleazier version.

Reidski said...

Talking of Dominik Diamond, I just came across this madness http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article705815.ece

I do believe the man was suffering some sort of breakdown - wonder if he ever recovered?