Thursday, December 13, 2007

Dickwatch #2

From the October 8 issue of Jet magazine:

Supermodel Naomi Campbell was among a group of speakers who talked recently about the shortage of opportunities for Blacks in fashion during "The Lack of Black Images in Fashion Today" panel discussion held at the Bryant Park Hotel in New York City.

Campbell spoke whole-heartedly of the challenges Blacks face in the industry. "The only time they care about Black models is in February [Black History Month]," she said.

She added, "Linda [Evangelista] and Christy [Turlington] would go to big designers and say, 'If you don't pick Naomi to be in your show, then I don't want to be in it.' That's how I got Prada and Helmut [Lang]."

Campbell also complained of not having a British Vogue cover. "I've never been on the cover of British Vogue and I've asked a million times and they've always refused me," the New York Daily News reported.

"They'll put the same White model for half the year--I swear like six times, but wouldn't put me on once in my own country. But I still want my British Vogue cover!"

However, the Daily News also reported that since 1987 Campbell has been on the cover of British Vogue eight times: twice with other models, once with Diddy and five times alone.




Don't sweat the small stuff, Naomi.

No comments: