Sunday, November 04, 2012

Feminist Ireny


Awful blogpost title, I know. I'm sorry. I’m out of practice. But bear with me, follow the links to the blogs I’m recommending, and you'll eventually get the oh-so-clever references.


Ire: Anger, Ireland.

Feminist Ire is a new blog set up by our friend Stephanie and several comrades in arms. “Not your fluffy feminism,” it says. I’m not entirely sure what fluffy feminism is or why I’m against it yet, but I trust Steph implicitly, so I expect to find out pretty soon. A very welcome blog that I hope will feature prominently in future posts. There simply aren’t enough feminist bloggers. Or feminists blogging. 


Irene: The ancient Greek word for peace. Pronounced Ireny.

A little bit of nepotism here as I plug the blog of my nephew’s partner. Unfurled is the blog of Holly Klein, who says, “I work as an Animator, Editor and Compositor. In my free time, I sew and knit and make my own films. I move house a lot. I’m currently living in Portland, Oregon.” There are links to lots of free knitting patterns, knitting being, as I understand it, the kind of thing folk do in Portland when they want some tranquillity. Maybe that's what fluffy feminism is. There are also fab pictures of my great niece (which makes me a great uncle) Penelope Amelia, such as these scary Halloween photos of her dressed terrifyingly as Sinead O’Connor. 

I should probably give the nephew a plug too, though he's clearly too busy to update his blog. Probably because he's been at work on another Hollywood blockbuster. A feeble excuse, though. Holly's in it too, and she seems perfectly capable of juggling all her commitments. Mind you, they're big into juggling in that Portland


Irony: A rhetorical device featuring an incongruity between implied and literal meaning.

There is no irony in this blog post, hence the incongruity between the implied and literal meaning.


No comments: