Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Geno - Dexy's Midnight Runners

(No.1 in a series of I can't be arsed doing the other 7)

On moving to Manchester at the age of14 I found myself going from a fairly inconspicuous school existence to briefly being the class novelty. The attention and ribbing I attracted made me focus even more on my own regional identity , fortunately supported by a strong Birmingham music scene and a successful Villa side (unlike the wasters who rolled over against Man. City last night).
My association with Dexy's , at first out of convenience , grew into a love of their swaggering , heads-up , chest-out , arrogant punk-soul music , the pinnacle of which was achieved when Geno reached no.1 in the charts.
The only real downside to this was that due to my accent and a penchant for wearing tightly rolled woolly hats to school I was lumbered with the nickname "Benny".

Damn those kids!

1 comment:

Reidski said...

"The only real downside to this was that due to my accent and a penchant for wearing tightly rolled woolly hats to school I was lumbered with the nickname "Benny"."

Wouldn't it have been perfect if you had a teacher by the name of Miss Diane?