Thursday, April 07, 2005

Book Meme

Lisa of Rullsenberg has very kindly roped me into the book meme competition that's doing the rounds: It isn't formally a competition, but it's one of those memes that generates competitiveness amongst literary snobs. I'm just moaning, of course, because the central requirement is that the books you cite be works of fiction, which I barely ever read, offering me no opportunity for oneupmanship. Still, I've got plenty of opinions. Which ones would you like?

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

For my own pleasure, I would choose either Bigot Hall, by Steve Aylett, or Milk, Sulphate & Alby Starvation, by Martin Millar. Both immensely funny and, in both books, the language just sparkles. No supposed 'classic' has ever affected me as much as these. Alternatively, I'd plump for Mekons United, which comes with a free CD, giving me an accompanying sound track.

But I suppose I have to select something worthy, so it will have to be The Plague, by Albert Camus. Even in translation, the clarity and conciseness of his language stand out.


Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Of course not. They're fictional, aren't they? I have enough trouble with crushes on real people.

Now I come to think of it, though, I did fancy Julie Andrews in A Sound of Music when I was 7.


The last book you bought is:

Hanging Crimes, by Frank Sweeney. All about the death penalty in Ireland. It's a birthday present for my dad. Before you ask, we do get on.

The last work of fiction I bought was Diary, by Chuck Palahniuk, reviewed here.

The last book you read:

As far as fiction goes, see the above answer. Otherwise, I finished The Coming of the Third Reich, by Richard J. Evans, on the train home last night.


What are you currently reading?

Russian Philosophy, by Frederick Copleston (bedside); to help me sleep. Booked, by Tom Humphries (bogside - to help me shit); this contains surprisingly lyrical newspaper articles about such topics as GAA, the travails of Irish soccer, and mountain running.

My new train reading is From Dawn to Decadence, by Jacques Barzun. The next fiction I read will be Money, by Martin Amis.


Five books you would take to a deserted island:

Don Quixote, by Cervantes, because I started it but haven't finished it and my brother says I should.

Q, by Luther Blisset. Italian anarchists write a collective novel about the Reformation. How can you go wrong?

And now for some cheating: Three volumes on my shelves I haven't read but must.

USA, by John Dos Passos. Three novels in one.

The Muriel Spark Omnibus, Volume One: includes Jean Brodie and Memento Mori.

The Essential Gore Vidal. Has excerpts from Myra Breckenridge, Julian, etc.

Look, I could be on that island a long time.



Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

Reidski, because he doesn't blog often enough.

Alphonse, to see if he lists any books I've heard of.

and Clare, to spread this party further afield.


Ah thenk yow.

5 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Wow, you responded to the meme quicker than I was able to (can i re-plead sicky cough? No? Damn.)

Will agree that the requirement for it to be about fiction makes it harder for those of us more rooted in the 'real world' (whatever that is). Nevertheless, most impressed by your inclusion of Martin Miller, by whom Cloud and I have several books on the bookcase (I confess he introduced me to MM when we met). Wit is much underrated as a quality in reading material: I like stuff that I would struggle to read aloud without choking with laughter.

I got Q for Cloud at Xmas; I started it and it's still on the shelf of "to read"...I think I got distracted by reading the X-files guide to season 7 (not sure what Cloud's excuse was). Both USA and The Essential Gore Vidal are on our shelves: Cloud (I think) has read USA, but I haven't gotten around to it. I absolutely LOVE dipping into the Gore Vidal book. You should read the Essays volume he did which I think complements this volume very well(despite some duplications).

Don't do your reading down dude (blimey that's a bit alliterative!) - you have a fine selection of reading tastes, whatever the one-up-person-ship-ness of something like this meme might suggest!

John said...

Hi Lisa--

I had time to think about the meme while I was doing the ironing last night!

Martin Millar seems to have quite a cult following. His Alby Starvation led me directly to Lux the Poet, Ruby and the Stone Age Diet, Good Fairies of NY, and Dreams of Sex and Stage Diving. All a delight.


As for Q, I'm up to about page 60. Must persevere.

I read the Vidal essays no problem: non-fiction, you see. Something to do with my ridiculous supposition that I have to be learning something when I read. Or laughing out loud. Don't like anything in-between!

Incidentally, I found Clare's site as a result of our shared interest in Martin Millar. Not sure why he isn't filthy rich at this rate.

Imposs1904 said...

Read Milk, Sulphate & Alby Starvation (and Lux the Poet) years ago. I think I will have to re-read them.

I've started reading Q - really enjoying it, but I forgot to bring it up to Dunfermline with me. :-(

Good luck with Amis's Money. I could never get into either that or London Fields. Amis sneers drip from every page, and rather than me thinking that this was blistering satire, I just reached the conclusion that he is one of those 'clever-clever wanker' types, that you just want to slap.

Maybe it's just me.

John said...

Darren--

If I reach the same conclusion when I've finished it, we'll gang up and go looking for him.

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering about giving Amis a go recently, simply cos people rave about him and I've never read him.

Well, I finally took up the baton and did the meme. Here it is.

Sorry for taking so long!