Saturday, June 04, 2005

The Star was the Venue

Better late than never, as they say. After the splendid reviews provided by John, here’s my view of the Primavera Sound festival.
The first thing that comes to mind among those of us who had been to previous editions, is that the new site for the festival proved very convenient. The Forum has plenty of room for an audience that increases every year. Among the venues, the Auditori (aka Forum Building) stands out, an indoors auditorium with a capacity of 3,000 comfortable seats and excellent acoustic conditions.
There I got to see Antony and the Johnsons, one of the most eagerly awaited gigs of the Friday program. Afterwards I learnt that I had been lucky to get a seat, since the Auditori has a limited capacity and some people could not get in.
Anyway, the place was perfect for such a performance, with Antony at the piano and four musicians playing mostly string instruments. All in all, the gig was worth it for anybody who appreciates any of the tracks from his hit CD I am a Bird Now. But I could understand why there are some people who find the character a bit annoying.
On Saturday, Jordi and I queued for the Auditori, because we did not want to miss Echo and the Bunnymen. I myself had never seen them on stage. While we were waiting we enjoyed a chistorra sandwich, which we managed to consume before getting into the venue. No food was allowed in the Auditori. Once inside we could get great seats, but we abandoned them after three or four songs, when Ian McCulloch, in front of an all-seated audience, said: ‘You can stand up, if you want’. Actually, McCulloch was in a good mood. He took a few steps ahead in order to stand outside the lights flooding the stage, so he could see the people in the audience.
As for the song list, the Bunnymen played most of their hits. I guess that’s what the public wanted (well, that’s what I wanted, at least). In short, no surprises but a solid gig.
Along with Echo and the Bunnymen, the Arcade Fire, They Might be Giants and New Order where the shows I definitely didn’t want to miss in this year’s Primavera Sound festival. And I must say I wasn’t disappointed. It’s true that New Order got bad reviews in the local newspapers, but having seen them only once before, about 20 years ago, I really wanted to enjoy their show this time. And I did enjoy it.

6 comments:

John said...

Thanks for posting Jose - and Jordi! I think we've covered everything now, except to mention that Hospitalet IS NOT Barcelona.

Jose said...

Yes, you're right. L'Hospitalet IS NOT Barcelona. Great T-shirt. And great photo!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Hi to Jose and Jordi
Good to get some more perspective on the excellent event that was Primavera, and especially good to hear about the venue qualities.

For me, to hear The Cutter and Never Stop would have just sent me crazy with delight. (The latter became a 'turn up to 10' track that my whole neighbourhood knew).

Jose said...

Thanks a lot for your comment, Lisa.
I figure that Jordi's neighbours also learnt a few tracks by Echo and the Bunnymen over the years. After the gig he commented that it was the 9th time he had seen them live. Or was it the 11th?

John said...

Sporting Mahones!? Are they anything to do with the Pogues?

They'd have some intresting chants. And training sessions.

Are you going to the match?

jordi said...

Well,I don't think we'll see prawn sandwiches at the Hospitalet - Sporting Mahones game... It's more like brandy and half corona, so Shane McGowan would not stand out in the crowd...
Yes, I'm intending to go to the game, a crucial one which will decide if L'Hospitalet stays in Third Division obscurity or gets promoted to Second Division B... well... obscurity... Oh, and I'll wear my reivindicative T-shirt!