Thursday, March 15, 2007

There is a light that intermittently goes out

Which means it must be the new David Lynch movie, "Inland Empire". A companion piece of sorts to Mullholland Drive with a large dollop of Twin Peaks voodoo dropped in the middle of it. I can't say I was particularly comfortable with the digital video format and having seen Lynch interviewed recently I can understand why the camera shakes so much, but it's his usual labyrinthine surreal puzzles with some good performances and plenty of lampshades. And a cameo from Jerry Stahl.

New York Times review here.

3 comments:

Martin said...

I must say Stef that I was very confused during a lot of the film but like Mulhooland Drive I've derived more pleasure from it since I left the cinema.

I wouldn't recommend to it anyone who isn't a fan of Lynch already though.

Martin(postcode WA)

John said...

"I've derived more pleasure from it since I left the cinema."

Ha ha. In the same way that it feels great when you stop banging your head against a wall or reading other people's pretentious shite about it or from touching yourself while remembering the lesbo scenes? Please elaborate.

John (D2)

Martin said...

There's too much to assimilate during the film so the fun comes afterwards, solving the riddles he leaves you with and then banging your head against a brick wall.