Friday, October 12, 2007

I've a Crack For Yer

Mick Hartley is decidedly unimpressed by Doris Salcedo's Shibboleth and the attendant art bollocks at the Tate Modern.

Sadly, it's all too clear that the work itself is in no way of sufficient quality or power to justify this nonsense. The concerns with racism, postcolonialism, difference, whatever, are all contrived and arbitrary impositions seeking to impart a spurious relevance to a self-indulgent piece of banality. If meanings have to be assigned, why these? Why not say it's about the shortcomings of a two-party system, or the Risorgimento, or, more pertinently, the need to get a proper structural survey done before you buy a house? We know why not, of course: these aren't the kind of issues that resonate with the type of people who run art galleries.

4 comments:

Reidski said...

"And what's a "fundamentally political artist"? Is that just a way of saying she can't draw?" - pure fucking class, my man!
I'll still be going to see it, though. Well, it's not as if I have to make much of an effort ... and it's free!

John said...

Ha ha ha. Is it your turn to pay for the date? ;-)

Carlton B Morgan said...

Jargonistic terminology alientes the proletariat.

John said...

Hi Clark--

I'm sure I'd agree entirely if I knew what you were on about. ;-)