Friday, November 20, 2009

Folk Devils and Moral Panics (for Reidski)


The Staines News reports on the widespread panic on Wheatsheaf Lane over the impending match between Staines and Millwall.

One Wheatsheaf Lane resident, who didn't want to be named, said: "I am concerned because of the history of the club. I will have no hesitation in ringing 999 if there is any trouble.

"One of my neighbours has said they will board up the front windows of the house."
Jenny Hutt, of Wheatsheaf Lane, said: "I will be putting my car in my garage, because you never know what might happen."


. . .

Rana Yewer, who lives nearby, said: "We are quite near the town centre here, so the fans could have a few drinks. I am a bit concerned.

Another resident said: "I wasn't concerned until I heard about the Millwall and West Ham fight recently, so I am going to hide my car around the back."


Of course, the Comments section has attracted the usual scurrility:



mark my pants said:

The residents of Staines are to blame for this.
You have been flaunting the trappings of capitalism and treading down the working classes for too long.


Superintendent Duncan Greenhalgh said:

I'd just like to remind residents in Wheatsheaf Lane that parking any kind of vehicle in your rear garden is a breach of the road traffic act 1966 and would result in a fixed penalty notice. I personally will be attending a grenade diversity training course that weekend but our community officers will be available to give commendations for the best use of weapons of mass destruction, and geraniums.


Carl Blainey said:

This is the chance I've been waiting for for years. I really hate the people of Staines. I'm going to disguise myself as a Millwall fan and mingle with them then set light to whatever I can find.

What colour do Millwall play in?


danny dyer said:

make no mistake this one is gonna be pwoper pwoper nawty. so nawty that i am turning up wiv me mate woss kemp. he is pwoper ard and wont take no nonsense from any tweatment or f twoop i tell yer.



Private Parts said:

My mate Charlie Bright is in the army and based at Aldershot just down the road from Staines. Anyway he is a Millwall supporter and is proper loony tunes. He's gone AWOL and I hope it is no coincidence that a box grenades from under his bed and a sniper rifle have gone missing. Please please let there be no grassy knolls down Wheatsheaf Lane.....


Concerned Resident said:

I hope none of the above is true. I live in Wheatsheaf Lane and we held a community meeting last night to voice ouur fears & concerns. The police seemed to play down the fear of violence but having looked at Millwall on youtube this morning and the comments above, I'm very worried, especially as we have just bought a new car and got new windows.


Steve from Egham said:

Let's not forget that the people of Staines aren't exactly angels themselves. A lot of us think they've had this coming for a long time.



I think we've been here before, haven't we?

3 comments:

Martin said...

As a follow up I'd just like to mention that the havoc wrought by the Millwall fans was so extreme that Altrincham was removed from GoogleEarth for six months. Honest.

J.J said...

As one who inadvertently shouted for Luton whilst sitting in the middle of the main stand at Millwall I can vouch for the gentleness of Millwall fans. Or maybe they couldn't believe any one could actually be so stupid and so assumed they had misheard?

John said...

Maybe they thought you were prematurely shouting for looting. That comes after the match.