Friday, June 10, 2005

Ozymandias Revisited

Here's an extract from a poem, entitled "New Turkmen Spirit," by the president of Turkmenistan, Saparmurat Niyazov, who recited it at a grain-holiday celebration last July.

Translated from the Turkmen by BBC Monitoring.

"I am the Turkmen spirit and I was reborn
To bring you a golden age and happiness.
Like the sun, I shine upon your heads
Defying a cold welcome for myself.
I refresh the world like a spring!
My sight makes everything flourish
With a new vision of the old world.
I am a messenger of heaven on earth!
I make justice, I have a sacred spell
Giving wings to those who will fly high,
And swimming trunks to those who will swim.
I protect my followers
And award them royal presents.
When you have times of mischief
And hardship follows you day and night
If you are still faithful to me
I am savior of you, be sure!
My sight is sharp, I see everything.
Are you honest in deeds?-I see this.
Have you done wrong?-I see that too.
My sight brings life everywhere,
My visit brings luck to everyone.
Richness enters every door I open.
I have not humiliated anyone
Nor have I neglected anyone in need.
I prefer those faithful and adherent.
I am life, goodness, and youth!
Keep your head high, son of Turkmen,
Remember me when you get tired
Or when death knocks at your door.
Here I am, meet me, my fellow!"

Well, obviously, it's a metaphor. He isn't referrring to himself, but to all manufacturers of dairy produce.*


*(c) Monty Python

No comments: